- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- May 2011
Lyoto Machida may think that UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman can successfully stand and strike with challenger Vitor Belfort but “The Phenom” himself believes he’ll have the clear advantage there when they fight at UFC 181.Â ”He will fight standing against me only if he’s crazy,” Belfort said in a recent interview.
Belfort, who once won a UFC heavyweight tournament and then, later, won the UFC light heavyweight title from Randy Couture after a glove-edge from a missed punch sliced an eye lid of “The Natural,” believes that he’ll be considered a true three-division champion should he beat Weidman. And, while many fighters often say they simply concentrate on themselves during training camps, Belfort says he’s training to specifically exploit perceived weaknesses in the champ.
“I’m ready to have a third world title at a third different weight class,” Belfort said.
“I see a lot of openings from him and I’m studying this game since last year. I’m not focusing in his strengths but in his weaknesses and we saw that he has a lot.”Â
…who’s the current shittiest fighter making the most money?
I’d have to either go with Wanderlei or Frank Mir.
As belts are not standardize, and the awarding of them can be quite subjective, is there any point in mentioning a fighters belt colour? Wouldn’t it be better to say that the fighter is a practitioner of a style, and if they have won any championships in that style then that is added to there pre-fight bio to bolster their credentials. Really, that is what wrestling does, and the competitive levels a fighter has reached gives them far more credence, as there is a quantifiable competitive record as proof of ability. Just saying so and so is a brown belt in BJJ, is really meaningless.
Fight Network, the world’s premier 24/7 television channel dedicated to complete coverage of combat sports, presents a live broadcast of Enfusion 20 from Mallorca, Spain this Saturday, July 12, at 2:30 p.m. ET, featuring some of Europe’s top kickboxing prospects.
Enfusion 20 will be aired live on Cablevision’s Optimum TV in the U.S. and nationwide in Canada.
The Enfusion female 54 kg world championship will be up for grabs as Morocco’s Iman Ghablou takes on England’s Iman Barlow.
In other featured bouts, Damian Garcia and Loren Jorge throw down in a clash of Spanish standouts, German Christian Brorhilker battles Dutchman Wendell Roche, Spain’s Kike Bonnin faces Germany’s Olli Koch, Spain’s Antonio Gomez takes on Portuguese prospect Ricardo Luiz, plus Spain’s Ruben Barnabe kicks off the festivities against Frenchman Thomas Alisier.
For a full listing of Fight Network’s broadcast schedule, please visit tv.fightnetwork.com and follow on Twitter @fightnet, become a fan on Facebook and visit us on Instagram @fightnet.
About Fight Network:
Fight Network (www.fightnetwork.com) is the world’s premier combat sports network dedicated to complete coverage of combat sports, including fights, fighters, fight news and fight lifestyle. The channel is available on Cablevision’s Optimum TV in the U.S., all major carriers in Canada and over 30 countries across Europe, Africa and the Middle East, a programming block on Pursuit Channel (www.pursuitchannel.com), on TSN Radio in Canada via its program “Live Audio Wrestling,” and its programming on Sirius XM Channel 167, as well as its recent acquisition of My Combat Channel. Fight Network’s parent company Anthem Media Group Inc. also owns a significant ownership interest in Pursuit Channel and launched Fantasy (FNTSY) Sports Network (www.fantasysportsnetwork.com) across North America in March 2014.
After years of excuses, lies, denials and justifications, retired UFC fighter Chael Sonnen finally came as close to taking responsibility for his banned drug use as he ever has while being interviewed on Pro-wrestler Chris Jericho’s podcast, Talk is Jericho. Sonnen failed two random drug tests administered by the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) this year, and then retired from MMA competition and was fired from his broadcasting jobs before being suspended for two years by the NAC.
Sonnen used many excuses for why he had the many banned performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs) in his system this past year while preparing to fight Wanderlei Silva in July, fertility issues, to not fully understanding regulation. On Jericho’s podcast, however, Sonnen admitted to willfully cheating and simply being surprised by the drug tests, because he expected to only be tested on the night of his fight, after he would have been able to cycle off of the drugs.
“I was hit on a surprise test that was 44 days before a fight,” he explained.
“Generally in our business we’re tested fight night, so whatever it is you’re doing or you’re not doing, you gotta show up clean on fight day. When I talk about being dirty, I’m not talking about steroids or illegal drugs…but, these are still against the rules, I knew it…I’m a grown man. I knew what I was doing I thought I could have my cake and eat it too…”
Sonnen went on to advise other people to not follow his lead and instead come clean as soon as they could for misdeeds. The three-time UFC title challenger also expressed optimism that his fortunes might change once more, after having finally come clean.
“Things change pretty quickly. People are forgiving when you’re honest,” he said.
“If I could ever advise someone who is in my shoes, just come clean. Come as clean as you can, as quickly as you can. Then let the people decide.”
Following his UFC release, ONE FC has signed ‘the Truth’ Brandon Vera.
Brandon Vera has been representing the Philippines during his entire fighting career, but while he has had countless visits throughout the years, the Filipino-American fighter has never fought in the country itself. Once thought to be the perfect mainstay for a card in Manila, Vera never really had a chance to compete in front of Filipinos as the promotion kept delaying that long overdue event in Manila.
Following his UFC release though, ‘The Truth’ will now likely have a chance to do so at the later stages of his career, as the 36-year-old fighter has signed on with ONE Fighting Championship. The Asian promotion made the announcement through social media saying that the former UFC contender will be making his debut later this year.
Vera is 12-7-1 in his career, but only has recorded 1 win since that highly controversial loss to Randy Couture back in 2009. He has recently moved back up to heavyweight, bulking up to over 240 lbs. He last competed on August of last year, originally losing by TKO to Ben Rothwell, who ended up failing a drug test for elevated testosterone.
ONE FC’s heavyweight division, like with most promotions in the world, is a bit thin. Vera’s signing not only will serve as an instant draw with Filipinos, but he will also add some much needed depth on a line up that includes James McSweeney, Tony Johnson, Paul Cheng, and Chi Lewis Parry.
‘War Machine’ extradited to Las Vegas today, court appearance scheduled for alleged Christy Mack assault
SAN JOSE, Calif. — UFC welterweight Matt Brown missed weight by 1.5 pounds ahead of a No. 1 contender bout against Robbie Lawler at an official weigh-in Friday.
Brown (19-11) weighed 172.5 pounds on his first attempt. According to UFC president Dana White, in a miscommunication between Brown and the California State Athletic Commission, the fighter was informed he could not attempt to make weight a second time. Although he originally was to be fined 20 percent of his fight purse, with 10 percent awarded to Lawler, the fine was rescinded after a discussion with the commission.
ESPN.com originally reported that Brown was given two hours to cut to the allowed 171-pound limit but elected to forgo the effort.
Brown is still eligible to claim the No. 1 contender status with a win Saturday, as well as UFC Fight Night bonus money.
The welterweight bout, which headlines Saturday’s UFC on Fox event at the SAP Center, will determine the next title contender at 170 pounds.
Lawler (23-10) successfully made weight at 171 pounds. He challenged current champion Johny Hendricks for the vacant UFC title in March but lost via unanimous decision. He defeated Jake Ellenberger via third-round TKO two months later at UFC 173.
All 24 fighters set to compete in Saturday’s event made weight except Brown and female strawweight Juliana Lima. Lima (6-1) weighed in at 116.5 pounds, a half-pound over the allowed limit.
Seriously???? C’mon Matt. Stop training with Maruice Clarett, a guy who never made it to the NFL and is a bumb (Ohio State Fan)