- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- May 2011
Any rumors about where he’s been since his loss? What’s going on?
A bout between Ronda Rousey and Cat Zingano on New Year’s Eve weekend has long been rumored. It’s now no longer just a rumor.
UFC president Dana White told UFC Tonight’s Ariel Helwani on Wednesday that Rousey and Zingano will indeed meet for the UFC women’s bantamweight title at UFC 182 on Jan. 3 in Las Vegas. The bout between the two undefeated stars will be the co-main event on the card, which is headlined by a light heavyweight title fight between champion Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier.
Rousey (10-0), one of the UFC’s biggest stars, is coming off a 16-second TKO of Alexis Davis at UFC 175 in July. Between the UFC and Strikeforce, Rousey has hardly been challenged. The 27-year-old has finished every single one of her career fights and only one woman — Miesha Tate — has made it out of the first round. "Rowdy" is known for her signature armbar submission, but her striking game has come a long way.
Striking is what Zingano (9-0) excels at, though she is no slouch on the ground, either. Zingano, 32, secured her rightful place as No. 1 contender when she beat Amanda Nunes by TKO at UFC 178 last month. The Colorado native previously earned the distinction in April 2013 when she knocked out Tate, but a knee injury and the death of her husband sidelined Zingano for more than a year.
The UFC was in talks with former Strikeforce star and current Hollywood actress Gina Carano about returning to MMA, perhaps against Rousey for the title at UFC 182. But negotiations stalled and Zingano was the most deserving challenger anyway.
Davis’ success against Brazilians and his long history of fighting in front of hostile crowds has him confident ahead of his fight Saturday.
World Series of Fighting Canadian welterweight champion Ryan Ford (22-4) grew up athletic, and with professional fighting all around him in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. He had to wait until he was much older, however, to be allowed to throw any punches of his own.
“I always grew up around boxing because my dad was a Canadian lightweight champion and was ranked as high as No. 3 in the world, at one point,” Ford told Cagewriter.
“So, boxing was always around. When I was in junior high school, I started wrestling. I was an athletic kid and I played every sport I could. But my mom really didn’t want us to box so we didn’t get to do the boxing, too much. Dad did show us how to hit pads and throw a punch, though.”
Once Ford became an adult and a professional fighter himself, it ended up being in the newer combat sport of MMA, instead of boxing. His mom may not have approved of it, but Ford’s father was also initially a bit dubious of his son’s career choice.
“He had that old school boxing mentality of, ‘What is this stuff?’ ” Ford laughs.
“After seeing a few of my fights he actually was like, ‘OK.’ I actually got into it. He saw that it isn’t this crazy sport.” Â Â
Once Ford’s dad bought into MMA, he was eager to give his son pointers and advice. Sometimes, a little bit too eager, according to the fighter.
“Yeah, he gives me some pointers after fights with stand up striking. He’s a boxing analyst,” Ford says.
“But, It’s changed. He used to box back in the ’70s and ’80s. A lot has changed between then and what we do now.”
Ford has readily accepted the advice and game-planning ability of his head MMA coach Firas Zahabi in preparation for his fight against Jake Shields (29-7-1) Saturday night in Edmonton. Zahabi also prepared Georges St-Pierre for his 2011 UFC welterweight title defense against Shields, and so he knows the “American Jiu-Jitsu” specialist.
“Coach Firas set the game plan when Georges fought him, so I’ve definitely relied on his knowledge. Firas knows the game. He knows what game plans to use. At the same time, I’m a totally different fighter than GSP, so his game plan is different,” Ford admits.
Ford respects Shields and all the savvy and experience he will bring to the cage against him, yet still believes this his own hunger to achieve what Shields already has will make him the more dangerous fighter.
“I believe in myself,” he says.
“I believe in the hard work and dedication I put into the gym. Ain’t nobody gonna stop me come fight night. Jake has been there before, done that before, whereas I haven’t. I’m a lot more hungry than he is. Come fight night, he is going to understand.”
Ford takes on Shields Saturday, Oct. 11 in the main event of a four-fight card airing on NBC Sports Network atÂ 9 pm ET/6 pm PT.
Follow Elias on Twitter @EliasCepeda & @YahooCagewriter
Conor McGregor vs. Dennis Siver targeted for Jan. 18 UFC event in Boston
By: Steven Marrocco October 23, 2014 3:45 pm
Conor McGregor may not get an immediate title shot, after all.
Multiple sources with knowledge of the negotiations told MMAjunkie that McGregor (16-2 MMA, 4-0 UFC), the popular Irish featherweight, is targeted to meet Dennis Siver (22-9 MMA, 11-6 UFC) at a yet-to-be announced fight card on Jan. 18, which could take place at Boston’s TD Garden.
The sources spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly on the fight card or pending booking.
Although bout agreements are not yet in place, the promotion plans to keep McGregor active rather than reserve him for a fight with the winner of an upcoming title bout between champ Jose Aldo and Chad Mendes, which is set for Saturday’s UFC 179.
The Jan. 18 event, which falls on a Sunday, would follow the NFL’s NFC Championship Game on FOX and air on FOX Sports 1, sources close to the event told MMAjunkie. A lightweight matchup is already rumored for the event; according to FOX’s “UFC Tonight,” Donald Cerrone will face off with Myles Jury.
UFC President Dana White previously indicated that McGregor was on the fast track for a shot at the belt despite just four appearances in the octagon. McGregor, though, recently said he would gladly fight again before a title shot.
On Tuesday, McGregor added another potential opponent for his future, teasing Mendes during an appearance on “Beyond the Octagon.”
Siver, 35, previously expressed in fighting McGregor, earlier this month telling KammakazeTV he would knock out the outspoken fighter. In August, he expressed dismay at McGregor’s higher spot in the UFC’s official rankings despite a lack of experience against top competition.
Siver returned to the cage earlier this month at UFC Fight Night 53, where he earned a unanimous decision in his first fight since a nine-month suspension for a positive drug test. His previous win over Manny Gamburyan at UFC 168 was overturned and he was also fined when the commission found human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) in his system post-fight.
In September, McGregor took steps to silence critics when he took on the top-10 ranked Dustin Poirier and delivered a first-round TKO to pick up his fourth straight UFC win.
McGregor, 26, will be sitting cageside when Aldo and Mendes face off in Rio de Janeiro, and as he reported to Mendes, enjoying the royal treatment.
off the back of this michael brown thing theres meant to be shit like the purge going on. seemingly in kentucky
you heard anything?